Author Topic: All of a sudden: Failed to Connect to TS server  (Read 3605 times)

SFC (Ret) Lyon

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
All of a sudden: Failed to Connect to TS server
« on: August 22, 2015, 01:50:20 PM »
No changes to my PC from the last time I connected to the TS server - I uninstalled/fresh installed TS client (twice), triple-checked the IP/password, no joy.

Anybody got any suggestions?
R. LYON
SFC, USA
Retired

R. F. Nelson

Re: All of a sudden: Failed to Connect to TS server
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 02:08:26 PM »
Have you checked your anti-virus/firewall? Some of these, especially when left in a automated type mode, may often re-block programs you've set to the allowed list. I'd check to ensure that Teamspeak hasn't been blocked.

Barring that, you may wish to restart/cold reboot your modem. Always possible it's an issue there.

SFC (Ret) Lyon

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 02:18:11 PM »
Thanks, I checked my Firewall, TS is allowed - and reset my router, still no luck.  This is so weird, WTF.  Couldn't be a TFAR issue keeping me off TS could it?  Should I reinstall TFAR?
R. LYON
SFC, USA
Retired

R. F. Nelson

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 02:30:58 PM »
As far as I know, TFAR is a client-side type plugin, and shouldn't have anything to do with the ability to access a Teamspeak server. Have you tried disabling the plugin and then connect? Have you also tried to connect to another TS server to see if it's Teamspeak itself you're having trouble with, or perhaps just the 506th server?

SFC (Ret) Lyon

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 02:37:58 PM »
I am able to connect to other servers including the main TS server and random servers on their server list. 

And with the fresh install of TS it doesn't have the TFAR plugin in the new folder so that shouldn't be an issue unless I *need* it to connect (which I don't think I do).

I had never used TS before joining the 506th so I'm not super-familiar with how to troubleshoot this. 

Google searches show people recommending that I contact the server Admin, do you know who that might be for the 506th and are there Admins on TS now?  Maybe somebody could point them to this thread?
R. LYON
SFC, USA
Retired

R. F. Nelson

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 02:58:18 PM »
It's also possible that it may have something to do with your ISP routing. Have you tried to tracert the IP of the server, to see if your connection is actually making it there all the way?

SFC (Ret) Lyon

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 03:06:53 PM »
I just ran tracert in a cmd window - never done it before and not sure what I'm looking at. 

I see a number of entries that look like: 6  *   *  * Request timed out

Does that mean there's a problem along the path my pc is trying to take to connect?

In addition to the cmd window I used this site to make it a little clearer for a newb like me: http://www.monitis.com/traceroute/index.jsp?url=162.248.88.33&testId=906365

It looks like I'm getting high latency on the 6th hop, then very high on 13th>>> hops. 

I think I just have to wait and hope the path gets fixed, hopefully before tomorrow's op.

Thank everyone for the help, I'll continue to monitor this thread in case anybody has any other suggestions.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:15:11 PM by PFC Lyon »
R. LYON
SFC, USA
Retired

R. F. Nelson

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 03:16:16 PM »
Those are in all likelihood, the IP addresses that it's routing through. If it does reach a 'timed out', then it does usually mean one of two things: 1.) your ISP is having some connectivity trouble 2.) one of those IPs along the route path is having trouble.

You may wish to contact your ISP to ensure that the routing along that path is working correctly, and to ensure that there's no issues. While this is a bit time consuming, if it's still not working with all you've tried, it certainly won't hurt. In the very least, it'll help check off the list of things to try.

SFC (Ret) Lyon

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 03:47:52 PM »
I contacted my ISP, they confirm that it's not making it past the 6th hop - their engineers are working to re-route around the problem IP - thanks again to everyone for your help.
R. LYON
SFC, USA
Retired