Author Topic: Has anyone tried Threadripper ?  (Read 5055 times)

Schnoor

Has anyone tried Threadripper ?
« on: February 14, 2018, 12:58:57 PM »
 Trying to figure out a new build as when I was doing my OSUT found my current setup would crash. So want to get up and running so I can join you . But I was wondering if anyone has tried or heard any information on ARMA 3 running on a threadripper. Just thinking if it is CPU heavy if that would make a difference or not.

SGT (Ret) Van Haarlem

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
Re: Has anyone tried Threadripper ?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 01:57:02 PM »
for gaming a higher clock speed is generally preferred. the more cores your cpu has, the lower the clock speed per core (generally).
taking this into account you would be better off with an intel i7 8700k. (currently best cpu available for gaming i think)

but the threadripper 1900x is not a bad choice either. it has a few more cores but a slightly lower clock speed.

in the end it all comes down to what you will be doing on the pc, and pricing of the cpu's.
I. VAN HAARLEM
SGT, USA
Retired

1LT J. N. Lee

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Combat Element
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 12:02:57 AM »
I've heard that the threadripper is insane at streaming and recording while gaming as well, so if you're interested in that then the threadripper will be more valuable to you
J. N. LEE
1LT, IN
Platoon Leader, Co A\1-506 Infantry

CPT Bowman

• 15A Aviation Officer
  • Aviation Element
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 02:23:27 AM »
Threadripper would work fine for gaming, but that processor is not geared toward high performance gaming. It's like trying to make a very heavy truck go very fast when that truck is made to pull a trailer at a decent speed, instead of buying a light weight car with a fast top speed knowing you are not going to be towing the trailer.

Are you going to be towing the trailer? (Rendering, streaming, massive number crunching)

Processors like the 7600k, 7700k, 8600k, 8700k, and pretty much anything running higher clock speeds (4Ghz and up) will get you better gaming performance. The threadripper is more of a workstation type of processor that would be awesome for rendering high-def video or streaming at 1080p, but at what cost to your ingame performance?

I would stick with 6th-8th gen intel K series processors.
A. BOWMAN
CPT, AV
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

SGT (Ret) Van Haarlem

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 02:59:01 AM »
It's like trying to make a very heavy truck go very fast when that truck is made to pull a trailer at a decent speed, instead of buying a light weight car with a fast top speed knowing you are not going to be towing the trailer.

i like the analogy you made there. sounds weird but makes sense.
I. VAN HAARLEM
SGT, USA
Retired

O. Thomas

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 09:24:03 PM »
Until Bohemia decides XP/Win7 isn't needed for the US Army sim you're looking at single core performance for ARMA3 (try the tricks you can with servers, it only gets you so far). Overall if you look at the way Intel is handling Spectre and Meltdown (the security flaws), AMD i.e. Threadripper is the obvious choice. If you're looking to buy now wait for the next gen to pop up in 1-3~ months time. Either buy Ebay specials or new gen 2080 and AM4 2.0 socket stuff.